Thursday, March 25, 2010

Codeigniter

I have some experience with cakePHP and I eventually get to play with code igniter - another php framework and I think it's just too brilliant!

It's faster, flexible and much easier than cakePHP but the best part is their detailed guide, just about everything is in there. A codeigniter site is installed as soon as you copy and paste it and writing it's hello world program hardly takes 30 seconds. Learning it is not really a dedicated job, you could learn it on the go thanks to it's extremely well written guide.

Most of the helper functions like emails engine is already there and you don't really have to install any pear library. Unlike cakePHP it is much optimized, eg. it supports persistent db connection by default while cakePHP's default option is non persistent.

So if you are into php coding, this is one framework which you must check : http://codeigniter.com/downloads/

3 comments:

  1. Codeigniter is only good for small web Applications, As complexity of application grows with multiple developers working on it, it becomes pain in the head

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and that's why for small to medium size projects codeigniter is a better choice than CakePHP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. Just drifting along.

    If I may be blunt, I do absolutely hate having to work on PHP. I am a Python/Django die-hard advocate for web application development. But for a recent project, and to my dismay, I had had no choice but to do the project on PHP.

    I narrowed the choice of which MVC-esque framework to use down to CakePHP, CodeIgniter, and Symfony. I settled on Symfony. And, really, I have to say, I am amazed at the sort of functionality, stuff it has to offer. It has a very steep learning curve, but what it has to offer more than simply justifies the time spent learning it.

    I still hate PHP though. Just sharing my bits.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete