Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Short History of Nearly Everything

A short history of nearly everything is Bill Bryson's guide to scientific history which any layman could understand but that doesn't mean that the book is just too simple. It in fact goes on to discuss topics like Big Bang, General and special relativity, E = mc square, brownian motion, fossils, methods for finding the age of Earth etc. etc. but it's more about how masterfully Bryson has covered and explained all this. From scientific laws to personal details of scientists, it tells everything in an interesting style. And it managed to did what none of my Physics teachers could do, it made me understand Einestine's General law of relativity!

When I was reading the book, I ended up making all these charts and hierarchies of how different scientist over a certain period managed to come across a discovery and it was just too much fun to not to share it here. So here's what I have decided, using this book, I'll chart out that how a certain discovery was made and some details about the scientist involved.

I see three advantages here,

1. It will make me remember all the information.

2. You or I can always refer back to these posts whenever in a hurry.

3. It would save you the time to do all this work, you'll get to the details directly!

It will be a slow and tedious process but I know I'll enjoy it and I hope you would too.

Saying all this, if you have to read just one book in your life then make sure that it's 'A short history of nearly everything'

2 comments: